By a relative timeline, Zen McCollum is simply firstly of his powerlifting profession. Nevertheless, with the way in which the 22-year-old has pushed full steam forward thus far, it could be onerous to not view the 120-kilogram-plus athlete as an achieved veteran.
On Oct. 19, 2022, McCollum shared a video to his Instagram profile the place he notched a 390-kilogram (860-pound) single-ply squat double throughout a coaching session. Per the caption of his put up, the feat is a private document (PR). Along with wrist and knee wraps, McCollum wore a lifting go well with and lifting belt to assist with the determine.
[Related: How to Do the Hack Squat — Benefits, Variations, and More]
McCollum’s squat double PR is linked to his ongoing preparation for the 2022 Worldwide Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Geared up Open Powerlifting Championships. That contest will happen on Nov. 14-20, 2022, in Viborg, Denmark. Will probably be simply the second look for McCollum in a global competitors after a second-place Juniors end throughout the 2022 IPF World Junior Geared up Powerlifting Championships.
Because the reigning outfitted Powerlifting America (AMP) Nationwide Champion within the 120-kilogram-plus weight class, McCollum has amassed fairly the person resume at a younger age. After beginning his profession largely as a uncooked competitor, McCollum seems to have transitioned to a single-ply, outfitted focus. That shift in consideration has seemingly paid off because the athlete can rely six out of seven victories the place he competed single-ply.
Based on Open Powerlifting, right here’s an outline of among the extra notable outcomes of McCollum’s profession thus far:
Zen McCollum (+120KG) | Notable Profession Outcomes
- 2017 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Rocky Mountain State Video games (Teen/Uncooked) — First place | First profession victory
- 2017 USAPL Uncooked Nationwide Championships (Teen/Uncooked) — Second place
- 2018 USAPL Gorilla Warfare II Pandora’s Field (Teen/Uncooked) — First place
- 2018 USAPL Uncooked Nationals (Teen/Uncooked) — Second place
- 2019 USAPL Colorado State Championships (Teen/Uncooked) — First place
- 2019 USAPL Southwest Regionals (Open/Single-ply) — First place
- 2021 USAPL Revenge of the Kilo Monster (Open/Uncooked) — First place
- 2022 AMP Nationals (Junior/Open/Uncooked/Single-ply) — First place
- 2022 IPF World Junior Geared up Powerlifting Championships (Juniors-Single-ply) — Second place
[Related: 4 Workouts with a Single Dumbbell for Muscle, Fat Loss, and More]
Right here’s an outline of McCollum’s all-time single-ply competitors bests:
Zen McCollum | Single-Ply All-Time Competitors Bests
- Squat — 385 kilograms (848.7 kilos)
- Bench Press — 275 kilograms (606.2 kilos)
- Deadlift — 317.5 kilograms (699.9 kilos)
- Complete — 962.5 kilograms (2121.9 kilos)
[Related: How to Do the Weighted Pull-Up — Benefits, Variations, and More]
McCollum will probably must deliver his A-game to seize his first-ever worldwide victory in Denmark. That in all probability received’t be a difficulty for an athlete who has began his aggressive profession on a rocket-like ascent.
Featured picture: @zen.the.piston on Instagram