Pondering of transferring to or inside Memphis, Tennessee?
Memphis is extra than simply its iconic Beale Avenue, Blues music, and BBQ joints. Whereas neighborhoods in Memphis are geographically shut, they will fluctuate considerably in each vibe and security.
Your selection of a neighborhood will largely rely in your priorities, particularly in the case of security. The town has its protected havens, neighborhoods which might be acknowledged for his or her low crime charges and tight-knit communities.
So, whether or not you’re scouting for a brief keep or attempting to find a everlasting dwelling, I’m right here to information you on which protected Memphis neighborhood could be the proper match for you!
Is Memphis, TN Secure to Reside In?
In comparison with different cities in Tennessee, Memphis has increased crime charges in some areas.
Sitting alongside the Mississippi River in southwestern Tennessee, is a metropolis stuffed with soul, music, and wealthy historical past. With a inhabitants nearing 650,000, it’s considered one of Tennessee’s largest cities and performs a major function within the cultural tapestry of the South.
The town presents a mix of city pleasure and the allure harking back to a tight-knit group, boasting iconic points of interest akin to Beale Avenue, Graceland, and among the greatest BBQ joints you’ll ever attempt.
For those who’re contemplating transferring to or visiting Memphis, security is undoubtedly in your thoughts. Like many cities, Memphis has areas of each calm and concern.
Nevertheless, with the attract of blues music, the Mississippi riverfront, and the promise of scrumptious Southern delicacies comes the truth that Memphis, in sure areas, faces challenges with crime.
Let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of residing in Memphis, each its safe spots and areas which may want a bit extra warning.
Kicking off with the safer sides of Memphis…
Cooper-Younger needs to be on the high of your listing if security and group are high priorities in your neighborhood search. This small Memphis gem is dwelling to underneath 3,000 residents, making it an intimate space the place neighbors shortly change into associates.
Cooper-Younger is 23% safer than most Memphis neighborhoods because of an energetic neighborhood watch and close-knit group. Residents right here look out for each other and work collectively to stop crime.
The low crime charges and family-friendly setting make it splendid when you have little ones. Colleges like Peabody Elementary are inside strolling distance, and households rave in regards to the schooling and alternatives for his or her kids.
Tradition abounds in Cooper-Younger. You’ll discover artwork galleries, reside music venues, craft breweries, and farm-to-table eating places, all inside a couple of blocks of dwelling. The annual Cooper-Younger Competition brings the group collectively to have fun the neighborhood’s creativity with artwork, music, and scrumptious meals.
Outside areas just like the Greenline, Overton Park, the Liberty Bowl, and the Memphis Zoo are simply minutes away by bike or automotive. There’s no scarcity of how to get exterior and benefit from the good climate.
Renters and householders love the Craftsman bungalows and Victorian-era properties that give Cooper-Younger its historic allure. Whereas property values proceed to rise, Cooper-Younger stays comparatively inexpensive in comparison with different areas of Memphis.
Windyke is without doubt one of the most secure, most family-friendly neighborhoods in Memphis. Low crime charges, a robust sense of group, and inexpensive properties make it a perfect place to cool down.
House to simply over 6,000 residents, Windyke has a small-town vibe throughout the large metropolis. You’ll get to know your neighbors right here, lots of whom have lived there for many years. Block events, neighborhood watch teams, and group organizations assist foster that close-knit really feel.
Crime ranges in Windyke are 59% beneath the nationwide common. You’ll really feel safe strolling round at evening or leaving dwelling for a weekend getaway.
Inexpensive single-family properties and minimal visitors make Windyke a sexy neighborhood for younger households or these on a price range. Most residences had been constructed between the Fifties and Nineteen Nineties in numerous kinds like ranch, split-level, and Cape Cod. You possibly can snag a stunning 3-bedroom home for underneath $200,000.
Eads-Fisherville is a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood positioned within the northeastern a part of Memphis. Identified for being very protected, inexpensive, and community-oriented, Eads-Fisherville needs to be on the high of your listing if you wish to settle in a safe space.
Among the interesting traits of Eads-Fisherville embrace:
- Low crime fee. Eads-Fisherville has a 40% decrease crime fee; Violent crimes are 23% decrease than the nationwide common because of its suburban really feel and robust neighborhood watch packages. Residents really feel very protected strolling round at evening.
- Neighborhood occasions. The neighborhood affiliation organizes year-round group occasions like film nights, block events, vacation gatherings, and park cleanups. These occasions assist convey the group collectively.
- Household-friendly facilities. Eads-Fisherville has a number of facilities catering to households, like well-maintained parks, playgrounds, faculties, locations of worship, and leisure amenities. The neighborhood itself has a really family-friendly vibe.
- Inexpensive housing. You’ll discover inexpensive single-family properties in Eads-Fisherville, from small starter properties to bigger properties with large yards. Housing prices are very affordable in comparison with different components of Memphis. Renters may also discover good offers on townhouses, residences, and duplexes.
- Handy location. Eads-Fisherville’s location gives quick access to downtown Memphis, the airport, buying areas, and main highways. Nevertheless, the neighborhood maintains a quiet suburban really feel regardless of its proximity to metropolis facilities.
The River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral neighborhood is without doubt one of the most safe areas in Memphis. This group is positioned in East Memphis and is safer than 69% of Memphis.
River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral is an prosperous suburb characterised by tree-lined streets, manicured lawns, and upscale properties. The low inhabitants density and energetic neighborhood watch teams deter felony exercise. Housebreaking and theft are uncommon, and violent crime is nearly non-existent.
The neighborhood has a robust sense of group. Residents steadily collect for occasions like potlucks, guide golf equipment, and fundraisers. Neighbors look out for each other and report any suspicious exercise to the police instantly.
Households with kids recognize the world’s glorious faculties, youth sports activities leagues, and kid-friendly facilities. Close by points of interest just like the Memphis Botanic Backyard, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, and the Lichterman Nature Heart provide loads of out of doors recreation and schooling alternatives.
Professionals working downtown have a simple 20-minute commute, whereas the I-40 and Sam Cooper Boulevard present fast entry to different components of the town. Locals take pleasure in upscale choices at Grove Grill, People’s Folly, and Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen for eating and leisure.
Harbor City is considered one of Memphis’ most prestigious and most secure neighborhoods. Situated on Mud Island in downtown Memphis, Harbor City is a quiet, gated group remoted from exterior visitors and noise. Some causes it’s thought of one of many most secure areas in Memphis:
- Gated group with 24-hour safety guards monitoring all entry factors. Residents and permitted guests solely are allowed in.
- Low crime charges. The seclusion and safety measures of the group assist deter felony exercise. Violent crime and property crime charges are 68% beneath metropolis and nationwide averages.
- Robust sense of group. Harbor City has an energetic home-owner’s affiliation, and residents steadily set up group occasions, yard gross sales, and vacation gatherings. Neighbors are inclined to know and look out for one another.
- Stunning environment. Harbor City is positioned alongside the Mississippi River, with parks, strolling trails, and leisure amenities for residents. Properly-maintained properties and lawns additionally add to the enchantment.
- Household-friendly. Harbor City is a well-liked space for younger households and professionals. It has sources for folks of all ages inside its gates.
Sure, Memphis has protected locations, similar to different components of Tennessee. However, some areas within the metropolis have extra crime.
It’s a metropolis recognized for its music and historical past, however you’ll need to choose the proper spot to reside or go to. All the time good to know which components are most secure.
Extra from Greenback Sanity:
8 Execs And Cons of Dwelling in Nashville, TN
10 Execs And Cons Of Dwelling In Knoxville, TN
7 Most secure Neighborhoods In Chattanooga, TN