Philadelphia is the biggest metropolis in Pennsylvania, with a inhabitants of about 1.6 million, and Chicago is the biggest metropolis in Illinois, with a inhabitants of about 2.7 million.
There may be nonetheless a lot to know in regards to the two cities to determine which is best to dwell in. Let’s see if there are any main variations between the 2 or if some elements of both metropolis may gain advantage from the opposite.
Is transferring to Philadelphia a good suggestion?
The quick reply is sure. The longer reply is that it is dependent upon the place you’re coming from, your pursuits, and what sort of life-style you need to lead.
Philadelphia is a metropolis lively, with an array of cultural choices and energetic nightlife. The humanities scene is very vibrant, with museums just like the Pennsylvania Academy of the Effective Arts and the Philadelphia Museum of Artwork attracting guests worldwide.
Philadelphia is without doubt one of the most historic cities in the USA, and its historical past is in all places. From the Liberty Bell to Independence Corridor, from the Structure Heart to the Nationwide Structure Heart, Philadelphia’s wealthy American heritage is on show for all to see.
Philadelphia’s schools and universities are additionally a serious draw for a lot of college students. The town is dwelling to a number of prestigious establishments, together with Temple College, Drexel College, La Salle College, and St Joseph’s College.
The town’s parks are one other main attraction for out of doors actions. Fairmount Park provides greater than 2,000 acres of land with unbelievable views of each the Schuylkill River and Wissahickon Creek.
When you’re in search of reasonably priced housing, Philadelphia is a superb place. Housing costs have steadily risen over the previous few years however haven’t reached their degree in different main cities like New York or San Francisco. The rise has been pushed by millennials flocking to Philly for jobs however nonetheless wanting an reasonably priced city expertise.
Is transferring to Chicago a good suggestion?
Transferring to Chicago is a superb thought. The town of Chicago is an incredible place to dwell. It has a lot to supply its residents, together with a thriving financial system and tradition, nice colleges, and delightful neighborhoods.
Chicago is a giant, sprawling metropolis with neighborhoods that rival most states in measurement. It’s dwelling to one of many largest collections of world-class museums in any metropolis within the nation, together with the Artwork Institute of Chicago and the Museum of Science and Trade.
It additionally has a few of the finest meals in America at its eating places like Alinea and Grace; it has nice music venues like The Metro and Lincoln Corridor; it has an expert sports activities scene that features a number of groups in every main league, and it’s dwelling to dozens upon dozens of neighborhoods with their distinctive character.
Chicago is without doubt one of the largest cities in America, and as such, it has quite a lot of financial exercise occurring inside its borders every day. Many industries are represented right here, and folks with completely different pursuits and backgrounds can discover one thing that fits them completely after they transfer right here from one other a part of the nation or world!
When you’re fascinated about enterprise or economics, that is an space value trying into earlier than making closing choices about transferring right here completely.
What are the most important issues in Philadelphia?
The largest drawback in Philadelphia is a mix of crime and public security. The town has been battling these points for a few years now, and it looks as if it should solely get higher quickly.
The crime price in Philadelphia is extraordinarily excessive in comparison with different main cities in the USA. There are quite a lot of sellers, gang members, and criminal activity occurring every day within the metropolis of concord. Although the mayor needs to repair this drawback by hiring extra law enforcement officials and placing extra officers on the streets, it nonetheless isn’t sufficient as a result of there are additionally criminals who commit crimes every single day with out getting caught.
One other subject that Philadelphia faces is drug use amongst youngsters and younger adults. Many individuals within the metropolis are addicts who need to escape actuality or are tired of their lives, so they begin doing a little issues to make issues fascinating once more. This causes a rise in crime charges considerably.
What are the downsides of dwelling in Chicago?
Right here are some things it’s best to take into account earlier than transferring to The Windy Metropolis:
- Heavy Visitors & Lengthy Commuting Instances: One of many fundamental downsides of dwelling in Chicago is that visitors right here could be horrible, particularly throughout rush hour. When you work downtown or in one other a part of the town, anticipate to spend so much of time on the street getting there and again dwelling once more every single day.
- Parking Is Problematic & Costly: Parking areas in Chicago are extraordinarily troublesome to come back by. As a result of there have to be extra areas obtainable for everybody driving into the town throughout rush hour, individuals typically find yourself parking on the road or in heaps outdoors their properties and workplaces reasonably than paying for costly storage parking spots close by their workplaces. You’ll doubtless want a automobile to get round effectively whereas dwelling in Chicago, however discovering reasonably priced parking areas could also be difficult.
- Climate: Chicago has 4 distinct seasons, every with distinctive challenges. Spring climate could be unpredictable and wet; summer time is sizzling and humid; fall is gorgeous however could be wet; winter brings snowstorms and very chilly temperatures. You will have to decorate accordingly for no matter season it’s!
Is it cheaper to dwell in Chicago or Philadelphia?
The typical value of dwelling in Philadelphia is beneath the typical in Chicago by 4.6%. When evaluating client spending, housing costs, and transportation prices, Philadelphia has a extra favorable value of dwelling than Chicago.
- The typical Lease for one bed room condominium outdoors of the middle in Philly is $1,260, whereas in Chicago is $1,433. Renting in Chicago is pricey.
- Household Median Revenue in Chicago is increased than in Philly at $65,781 and $52,649, respectively, in keeping with the USA Census Bureau.
In the long run, each cities offer you many professionals. Philadelphia provides you historic neighborhoods, quick access to the town, and an honest sense of security for being a big metropolis. Chicago provides you a younger, vibrant metropolis with heaps to do, superb meals, and loads of leisure choices. Each cities even have their fair proportion of cons.
Philadelphia is an older metropolis with some crime points in sure areas, although they’re only a few and much between, and it may be troublesome to get into the middle of issues if you happen to don’t have a automobile. Chicago could be simply as unhealthy with regards to parking, although it’s within the heart of all the pieces, making stepping into the guts of the town a cinch.